Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:

ConQUIZtador
nazadnapred
Korisnici koji su trenutno na forumu 0 članova i 1 gost pregledaju ovu temu.

>> Pitate se gde su nestale galerije devojaka? Kliknite ovde! <<

Vazno: Molimo vodite racuna o ponasanju na ovom delu foruma i procitajte nova pravila sex foruma!

Idi dole
Stranice:
Počni novu temu Nova anketa Odgovor Štampaj Dodaj temu u favorite Pogledajte svoje poruke u temi
Tema: The Yes Woman: It’s a nice day for a Nigerian wedding  (Pročitano 2674 puta)
20. Avg 2015, 11:52:23
Zodijak
Pol
Poruke 1
Browser
Chrome 44.0.2403.125
The Yes Woman: It’s a nice day for a Nigerian wedding

Sober dancing, communal fabrics and colourful smocks for the groomsmen: this is no sombre ceremony

I have reached those dangerous years when people I know are starting to get married.  Generally, when a wedding invitation slips through the letterbox, I am overcome with anxiety.  It usually means an expensive overnight stay somewhere, relentless, ankle-swivelling dancing with someone’s intoxicated uncle, and an evening that ends with a group of balding, middle-aged men lamenting their lost youth, loudly and long.  Before all that, there’s tepid food, a best man speech that goes on far too long, and an egotistical cake, the construction of which has almost certainly required a bank loan.

Most Irish weddings I have attended proceed in this lumbering fashion.  It’s worth it only if you are truly attached to the person or people getting married.  A friend’s arrogant cake is more easily justified.  A sibling’s badly written speech is wittier, and a beloved uncle’s dancing is more endearing.

Photo:hxxp:|| www. queeniebridesmaid. co. ukbridesmaid dresses in the uk
When a wedding invitation from my partner’s close friend arrived a couple of months ago, I arranged my face into an expression of enthusiasm, while having secret reservations.  I asked him what he thought I should wear.  “Oh I don’t know,” he responded with a shrug.  “But I’ll be wearing a traditional Yoruba groomsman’s outfit. ” I looked at him, my hand dropping slowly from some fussy dress I’d pulled halfway out of the wardrobe.  “Pardon?” I said, politely.  “Oh,” he said.  “Didn’t you know? This is a traditional Nigerian wedding?”

Several weeks later, we are standing in a school hall somewhere in London.  I am wearing some dress or other – the sort one would wear awkwardly to an Irish wedding – and standing beside a group of groomsmen who are looking deeply uncomfortable in their ensembles.  The outfit is a sort of large smock, with matching hat and trousers, made from fabric with a vivid blue pattern.  Several of the groomsmen are white friends of the groom, who is also white, and they look like frightened woodland creatures as they huddle together, waiting for the guests to arrive and the ceremony to begin.  This is already nothing like what they – or I – are used to.  It is vibrant; music is playing, everything is colourful.  There is no sombre ceremony here.

Same fabric

As the guests start to arrive, I recognise the same fabric the groomsmen wear everywhere.  The women wear completely different dresses made from it.  Lots of men have elements of it in their outfit: a hanky, a hat, a waistcoat.  Small children wear it too.  I ask a lady next to me what I’m seeing.  She tells me it is tradition: the bride’s family buys a large amount of the fabric and sends it to friends and loved ones so they can have something made for the wedding.  That way, everyone feels included in the festivities.

The older ladies wear geles, fantastically flamboyant head ties.  The fabrics are ostentatious and colourful, and I envy them: they look like birds of paradise.  They head in and out of the back room, fussing and clucking over the bride, giving instructions that brook no argument as they go.  They are frightening and impressive.

Mine is by far the whitest face in the room, and for a moment I get a tiny glimpse of what it must be like for my non-white friends at home.  To feel so conspicuous when you’d rather just watch or join in the fun is very educational.  Luckily, people seem to make an effort to be especially nice.

Suddenly, the drums start up and the groom – who has an abundance of self-confidence – starts to dance merrily up the aisle, followed by his groomsmen, looking wide-eyed.  Once he has been accepted into the family, the bride emerges in a fantastic gold and purple outfit, complete with a shimmering purple veil.  The families sit across from one another and are both heavily involved in the ceremony, which is a joining of families rather than individuals.

After several interludes for entirely sober dancing – which would tax many Irish people far beyond their shame barrier – they are married, and I am heartened to see that there is indeed cake.  Certain traditions are sacrosanct, regardless of cultural differences.
IP sačuvana
social share
Pogledaj profil

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Idi gore
Stranice:
Počni novu temu Nova anketa Odgovor Štampaj Dodaj temu u favorite Pogledajte svoje poruke u temi
nazadnapred
Prebaci se na:  

Poslednji odgovor u temi napisan je pre više od 6 meseci.  

Temu ne bi trebalo "iskopavati" osim u slučaju da imate nešto važno da dodate. Ako ipak želite napisati komentar, kliknite na dugme "Odgovori" u meniju iznad ove poruke. Postoje teme kod kojih su odgovori dobrodošli bez obzira na to koliko je vremena od prošlog prošlo. Npr. teme o određenom piscu, knjizi, muzičaru, glumcu i sl. Nemojte da vas ovaj spisak ograničava, ali nemojte ni pisati na teme koje su završena priča.

web design

Forum Info: Banneri Foruma :: Burek Toolbar :: Burek Prodavnica :: Burek Quiz :: Najcesca pitanja :: Tim Foruma :: Prijava zloupotrebe

Izvori vesti: Blic :: Wikipedia :: Mondo :: Press :: Naša mreža :: Sportska Centrala :: Glas Javnosti :: Kurir :: Mikro :: B92 Sport :: RTS :: Danas

Prijatelji foruma: Triviador :: Domaci :: Morazzia :: TotalCar :: FTW.rs :: MojaPijaca :: Pojacalo :: 011info :: Burgos :: Alfaprevod

Pravne Informacije: Pravilnik Foruma :: Politika privatnosti :: Uslovi koriscenja :: O nama :: Marketing :: Kontakt :: Sitemap

All content on this website is property of "Burek.com" and, as such, they may not be used on other websites without written permission.

Copyright © 2002- "Burek.com", all rights reserved. Performance: 0.073 sec za 16 q. Powered by: SMF. © 2005, Simple Machines LLC.