Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:

ConQUIZtador
nazadnapred
Korisnici koji su trenutno na forumu 0 članova i 1 gost pregledaju ovu temu.

Napomena: Procitajte pravilnik foruma! Piraterija je zabranjena i muzicke zelje se ne ispunjavaju!

Idi dole
Stranice:
1 3 4 ... 52
Počni novu temu Nova anketa Odgovor Štampaj Dodaj temu u favorite Pogledajte svoje poruke u temi
Tema: Најбоље баладе стране музике  (Pročitano 70089 puta)
Prijatelj foruma
Poznata licnost

prim.med.dr.sci. protivpožarni. aparat pekom

Zodijak Taurus
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 4245
Zastava Kolasin- Kruscic
mob
SonyEricsson K530i
Pazi sad, ovako:
Kanzas- Dust in the wind
Scorpions- svaka balada im je dobra ali najbolje su:
Still loving you
Wind of change
Hollyday
Lady Starlight i
When the smoke is going down koja je moja omiljena od njih, pa slijedi:
Styx - Boat on the river
Deep Purple- Soldier of fortune i When a blind man cryes,
Omega- Girl with pearls in the hair (preporucujem originalnu verziju)
Simon and Garfunkel (mislim da se tako pise) El Kondor pasa i Sound of silence
Blue jeans, ne znam ko pjeva,
Whiter shade of pele, isto ne znam ko pjeva
Animals- House of the rising sun,
Eagles- Hotel California,
Led Zeppelin0 Stairway to heaven
Metallica- Turn the page
Ne mogu vise da se sjetim, ali ove su sve odmor za usi...
IP sačuvana
social share

Pogledaj profil Skype

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Hronicar svakodnevice

Revolution in their minds!

Zodijak Taurus
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 769
mob
Nokia 3650
E napisacu i ja za nekoliko dana listu....
OffTopic:
Pekom: Jesi li cuo originalnu veziju Girl With Pearls In Her Hair madjarsku ili englesku?
A Blue Jeans Blues pevaju ZZ Top....
IP sačuvana
social share
Life is ours, We live it our way!
Pogledaj profil WWW

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Prijatelj foruma
Poznata licnost

Zodijak Taurus
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 4245
Zastava Kolasin- Kruscic
mob
SonyEricsson K530i
Madjarsku... na, na, na ...emberetlek, na na, na... Smiley  Slusao sam i nesto na nasem, ali ta je najjadnija...
IP sačuvana
social share

Pogledaj profil Skype

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Prijatelj foruma
Zvezda u usponu

Kad ja tamo, a ono, medjutim.

Zodijak Libra
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 1733
Zastava u kuci
METALLICA- NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

Definitivno No 1  
IP sačuvana
social share
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses
and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Pogledaj profil

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Prijatelj foruma
Poznata licnost

Zodijak Taurus
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 4245
Zastava Kolasin- Kruscic
mob
SonyEricsson K530i
Moze i od Iron Maidena, Hallowed be thy name, solaza je malo brza ali mnogo dobra, a po tematici pjesma spada u balade...
IP sačuvana
social share

Pogledaj profil Skype

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Prijatelj foruma
Jet set burekdzija

zvekete rodjaci

Zodijak Aries
Pol Žena
Poruke 6156
Zastava Суботица
mob
Nokia 3220
Tenutno slušam George Michael - Jesus to a child
a dobre su još i: Robie Williams- Angel, Dido- My lover's gone, Michael Bolton- All for love, Luz Casal- Un ano de amor, Tony Braxton- Spanish guitar
IP sačuvana
social share
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”

William Gibson
Pogledaj profil Skype

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Administrator
Capo di tutti capi

Underpromise; overdeliver.

Zodijak Gemini
Pol Muškarac
Poruke Odustao od brojanja
Zastava 44°49′N - 20°29′E
mob
Apple iPhone 6s
101.) "Go Your Own Way" Fleetwood Mac
If I could, baby I'd give you my love
How can I when you won't take it from me?
Although Fleetwood Mac are one of the most consistently good bands I've heard, they are also one of the few that don't really have that "one" song that grabs me. Except for maybe "Go Your Own Way". The vocal chemistry between Stevie, Linsey and Christine is right on, and Mick's beat is irresistible.

100.) "Give Me One Reason" Tracy Chapman
This youthful heart can love you and give you what you need
But I'm too old to go chasing around, wasting my precious energy.
This soulful number from Tracy Chapman utilizes a simple plucked guitar melody and a quirky beat that hastens as it goes on. All she wants is a reason to stick around and she's asking for it. A bit repetitive on the lyrical side, but Tracy delivers it with aplomb.

99.) "She Loves You" The Beatles
She said you hurt her so, she almost lost her mind
But now she says she knows, you're not the hurting kind.
Here goes one of those "third party" songs I was talking about. Sure, maybe The Beatles were just another manufactured "boy band" (then why wait 30 years to start using the moneymaking formula again?), but they had some pretty inventive melodies here and there. This song starts off with a bang of drums and jumps right into the chorus that everyone across the universe knows by now -- She loves you, yeah yeah yeah! Lonely guys all over the world could listen to this song and at least fantasize about having a girl who actually loved them... or in extreme cases, even having the guy friend to tell them about it. (Gee, only I would think of that...)

98.) "Golden Lady" Stevie Wonder
It's so clear to me that you're a dream come true
There is no way that I'll be losing.
Never dreamed I'd be saying this, but thank you Muzak! This is a song I cannot say I've ever heard in my youth, but was apparently a moderately big hit for Stevie back in the day. This song has a mysterious "I think we're alone now" kind of vibe to it. The chorus is awash with strange and wonderful hooks, and when the third chorus starts in a higher key it's magical. The key continues to elevate at the end until the song sounds like it's losing its mind. And if that's not what love does to you, my friends, then I don't know what love is!

97.) "I Will Buy You A New Life" Everclear
I will buy you a garden where your flowers can bloom
I will buy you a new car, perfect shiny and new
This midtempo romp was quite possibly the highlight of Everclear's career (which ended when it became apparent that their style wasn't going to evolve). With a Wallflower providing organs in the background, Art Alexakis makes a ton of promises to this girl, leaving the listener to imagine what great things he/she could do for the one he/she loves if only the access to greater funds were available. Superficial, but sweet. The video was neat, too.

96.) "Sail On" Lionel Richie
I know it's a shame, but I'm giving you back your name
Guess I'll be on my way, I won't be back to stay
I guess I'll move along, I'm looking for a good time
The hybrid of a P.O'ed breakup song and a love song for himself and his.. um, new life, "Sail On" embodies Lionel's bittersweet departure from someone who is better at the taking than the giving. The piano melody in this song is simple, so simple in fact that some might call this song boring. And I could hardly blame them. But I think it is because of the song's simplicity (not to mention its off-into-the-sunset climax) that makes it so beautiful.

95.) "I See Your Smile" Gloria Estefan
Tell me if I made the wrong advances
Tell me if I've made you feel ashamed.
This piano-led ballad comes from "the other side" of the unrequited love fence -- the woman's side. And since I'm not a woman, well, you know. Gloria's biggest strength, at least to me, was in her slower songs (as long as they weren't Olympic-related) and this one is the absolute most beautiful of all hers. Of course if you really want to know what's beautiful about it, just ask Mom, it's her fault that I ever knew about this one in the first place Smiley

94.) "Follow The Light" Travis
But it's allright, just follow the light, and don't be afraid of the dark
In the moonlight, you'll dance til you fall, and always be here in my heart.
A soft-spoken but oddly upbeat tune by Travis reveals an intense romantic side behind all that dark introspection. It is mostly because of the lyrics that I have the song here, and that doesn't happen too often.

93.) "Be Mine" R.E.M.
I'll strip the world that you must live in
Of all its godforsaken greed
I'll ply the tar out of your feathers
I'll pluck the thorns out of your feet.
Talk about the ultimate "keep it simple" song. I don't know if it's the way they play this one or if it's that left-of-center hook that comes toward the end of the chord sequence, but I have been in love with this song ever since a half hour after I first made that last-second run back into the mall... to get the CD from whence this song came.

92.) "Comedown" Toad The Wet Sprocket
Won't you come down, help me stand
There is healing in your hands
This one's a bit iffy, 'cause I'm not entirely sure what it's about. This is where I tend to differ from most people; if I want a song to be a love song, it'll usually end up being one. Because I live in a fantasy world, that's why. Anyway. Toad were really starting to beef up their skills as a band when they put together this sucker; it's really too bad they didn't keep going, 'cause they pulled some real gems out of their sleeve, just like "Comedown". It's hard to imagine an upbeat song with such desperation in its melody, but that's what you get here.

91.) "Tell Him" Celine Dion & Barbra Streisand
I don't think I could endure if I let him walk away
When I have so much to say.
The ultimate showdown -- Celine and Barbra, battling it out here in the arena. Just listening to them take turns on the high notes, you can almost hear Barbra thinking "Okay, b!tch, see if you can hit THIS one... AHHHHHHHH!" And then Celine keeps right up with her. In the process, they create a pretty decent love song here. Just like Billy Joel when he says to "Tell her about it," Celine and Barbra say "Tell him 'bout the sun and moonrise in his eyes." This song wins out because it's hard for an upbeat song to come across as romantic, no matter how you slice it.

90.) "My Hero" Foo Fighters
There goes my hero, watch him as he goes
There goes my hero, he's ordinary
I can only imagine what people are thinking when they see me calling this a love song. But I wouldn't doubt that Dave Grohl had love for his master, Kurt Cobain, whom this song is about. And even if it's not what we would traditionally consider a love song, it wouldn't be bad for two gay guys, would it?

89.) "Your Song" Elton John
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is when you're in the world.
Ahh, for some this may be the first really good song I've mentioned yet! This one makes the list for being simple, for staying conservative with the piano, and for saving its percussion until the second verse (never fails). Elton's conversational tone later in the song is also kind of charming.

88.) "Daisy Jane" America
Does she really love me, I think she does
Like the stars above me, I know
I always used to get this song confused with some Janet Jackson song. Now it's just a guilty pleasure, to hear any man on this planet actually say "I think she does," makes me feel at least a little justified in getting my own hopes up. The melody, while slow, drives along at a fairly upbeat pace with a sort of wanderlust about it.

87.) "Story Of A Girl" Nine Days
And while she looks so sad in photographs
I absolutely love her, when she smiles.
Sometimes a love song is just plain fun, and this is one of those. The girl in the song has "cried a river and drowned the whole world", meaning either that she was (figuratively speaking) sad enough to cry that many tears, or drowning the world around her in her own tears. Either way, you sense that the song (and the person singing it) feel sorry for her and have nothing but honorable intentions.

86.) "Two Hearts" Phil Collins
Two hearts
Leading just one mind
This one's simple enough. Bouncy beat, unabashedly cheerful melody and Phil going on about being with someone forever. The neat thing is how relatively subtle Phil sounds here in relation to most of his songs, where he is usually wailing. Granted, he takes off a little bit in the bridge, but even then he's still far too happy to sound like some attention-deprived loser.

85.) "Exit Music (For A Film)" Radiohead
Pack and get dressed, before your father hears us
Before all hell breaks loose.
This one's a little bit different, but you already knew that when you saw the word "Radiohead". This song came at a perfect time in my life and, to me, will always be a simple love song about taking the girl away into the darkness. And there is an awful lot of darkness. Later, the song might transform and head into that "f*ck tradition" lyrical zone, but even then, I just figure he's talking to her father in that part.

84.) "Sweet Surrender" Sarah McLachlan
You take me in, no questions asked
You strip away the ugliness that surrounds me
Are you an angel, am I already that gone?
Those of you who didn't think Sarah could rock, chew on this one for a minute. The haunting, distant guitars make this the perfect kind of song to hear on the radio when you're driving by the house of someone you love at three in the morning (which is exactly where I was the first time I heard it). This is the kind of song that grabs you by the spirit and brings you to the .. heh heh, surface.

83.) "Waste" Phish
Don't want to be an actor, pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer, with my thoughts out on the page
Phish took an unusual route on Billy Breathes and did a lot of quiet material, and amongst that material came one of the most beautifully romantic tunes there ever was. The melody is a bit overused, but they don't attempt to make it sound like anything beyond what it is, just a melody. Not some overblown Hollywood horror (sorry to be using Nickelback lines here). Best part of the song is when it starts to intensify at the end and Trey simply repeats "Come waste your time with me." Wouldn't it be nice?

82.) "Look Away" Chicago
If you see me walking by
And the tears are in my eyes, look away.
Chicago really had it going on in the 80's, and this is a prime example of why. The music is no-holds-barred in your face. It may be synthesizers, which everyone inexplicably hates, but for the sake of Pete, sometimes the end justifies the means! There is nothing more selfless a man can do, in all his pain, than to tell the girl to relieve herself of all awareness of it. (Of course sometimes, you don't even have to tell them to.)

81.) "The One You Love" Glenn Frey
Your heart keeps saying, it's just not fair
But still you've gotta make up your mind
Are you gonna stay with the one who loves you
Or are you going back to the one you love
Someone's gonna cry when they know they've lost you
Someone's gonna thank the stars above.
This one is all about the lyrics, baby. Sure, the string and guitar arrangements are nice, and the saxophone practically defines the song. But the true strength of this song lies in the words and the way Glenn sings them so painfully but mercifully

80.) "Sonnet" The Verve
Here we go again and my head is gone, my lord
I stop to say hello 'cause I think you should know by now
The Verve definitely had that "haunting thing" down; seems that every one of their songs had a distanced feel and a gaping hole into which they were being played. Nothing competes with a lot of extra room, and in the case of this song, I find that a romantic effect is achieved. Especially when the band finally get to cut loose with their abstract nonsense at the end. If it is possible to spew a "stream of consciousness" from a guitar, well, that's what they're doing.

79.) "Light My Fire" The Doors
The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now we can only lose, and our love become a funeral pyre
Come on baby, light my fire
My #1 oldie slides into #79 on the Romance side of things, because the Doors just don't strike me as a sensitive kind of band. Between this and "Touch Me" I'd say they're more along the lines of "pumped". You know. And in this song, that is a good thing because they come up with a super organ riff to accompany this longing passionate feeling. Bringing it to life is the vocal of Jim Morrison, who carries this song to an Earth-shattering climax before it finally shuts down the same way it started.

78.) "Just Like Jesse James" Cher
If you can give it, I can take it
'Cause if this heart is gonna break it's gonna take a lot to break it
I know tonight somebody's gonna win a fight
Then if you're so tough, come on and prove it
Your heart is down for the count and you know you're gonna lose it
This is another one of those that might "not" be a love song, but damn if Cher isn't feeling the love when she tells that man to back the f*ck off. Another powerfully synth-driven tune that is at least in part responsible for my first getting into music -- I made it part of one of my "diary tapes" on the night of August 29, 1992 and I always looked forward to that part of the tape. The rest is history.

77.) "Babe" Styx
You know it's you babe whenever I get weary
And I've had enough, feel like giving up
You know it, you've heard it. So here it is. Considering how easy the song would be to describe, I find it nearly impossible to tell just what's so great about it. I guess just the fact that someone had the balls to do it. The guitar solo/vocal harmony blast in the bridge is one of the best parts.

76.) "Bad Time" Grand Funk Railroad
I'm in love with a girl I'm talking about
I'm in love with a girl I can't live without
I'm in love, but I feel like I'm living it out
I'm in love, but I must've picked a bad time to be in love
You know how it is, you just started to like a girl and you allow yourself (against your better judgment) to fall in love with her, and then you find out that she's five. Very rarely does a song, especially an upbeat one, find a way to make the music fit so well with the lyrics. In this one, they fit perfectly -- you sense all the regret, the sadness, the memory of how great things used to be.

75.) "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" The Proclaimers
And I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door
You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs, but I look around me and I see it isn't so. When it comes to silly, you just can't beat the Proclaimers and their wildly upbeat tune from the movie Benny & Joon, a movie every bit as silly. What made people take this song seriously was the sha-daDA, da (shaa-daDA, da!) da da dun duddle-un, duddle-un, duddle-ah da da.

74.) "Linger" Cranberries
And I swore, I swore it would be true and so did you
So why were you holding her hand, is that where we stand?
Were you lying all the time, was it just a game to you?
There were a lot of swaying bodies and trees in 1993 when the Cranberries jumped instantaneously onto the radio with this spellbinding number. Dolores seemed to have all kinds of interesting things to say about the troubled growth of a relationship, and she did it so eloquently that you couldn't help but listen. Very nice orchestration backing this one up.

73.) "Never Tear Us Apart" INXS
We could live for a thousand years
But if I hurt you
I'd make wine from your tears
I can play this song on the keyboard! Woohooo! This one is built around an atmospheric, rhythmic synthesized sound and an essential bass. Everything is going along according to plan, when suddenly the synthesizer stops, and Mr. Hutchence stops. Everything is silent, and suddenly a guitar breaks in with a simple but effective riff. The percussion follows closely behind and the song breaks back in. This song is about damn close to a musical epiphany.

72.) "Overjoyed" Stevie Wonder
Over time, I'm building my castle of love
Just for two, though you never knew you were my reason
I’ve gone much too far for you now to say
That I’ve got to throw my castle away
This is a pure vocal performance. The music is nice and subtle, but Stevie's voice soars as he sings of a dream he might have to give up on. The key changes are accentuated by some of the most creative improvisation on Stevie's part. I can't imagine that he actually came up with those notes in his mind... that just seems impossible. Surely he must have came up with it during a spontaneous, unplanned session and then had to go back and listen to it a hundred times to memorize it. I'm still not even so sure I could sing it myself! Awesome stuff.

71.) "I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song" Jim Croce
Every time I tried to tell you, the words just came out wrong
So I'll have to say I love you in a song.
I probably already dubbed someone else the master of "simple" love songs. If I did, I take it back. That honor goes to Jim Croce. Just a simple guitar, a few simple chords and a straightforward lyric of confession. Somehow, he manages to bring every guy's thought into words with such ease that you wonder why you never thought of it yourself. 'Cause you know you wouldn't have.

70.) "Only In Dreams" Weezer
Only in dreams, you'll see what it means
Reach out our hands, hold on to hers
But when we wake, it's all been erased
And so it seems... only in dreams
The epic closer of Weezer's Blue Album is a startlingly heartfelt love song on the part of a bunch of guys whom most might have considered horny tweenagers up until that point. And maybe that's why the song is so shocking, 'cause Rivers nails it with all the pained hopelessness of a typical lonely guy who just can't get any... and in the process, realizes that he might be missing out on more than just that. The guitar solo is priceless, and bass is an underappreciated talent that gets its 15 minutes here (well, half of it anyway).

69.) "Under The Bridge" Red Hot Chili Peppers
Well I don't ever wanna feel like I did that day
Take me to the place I love, take me all the way
This would be one of those "love songs for the city" I was talking about. As a warning, there are two more, one of which you've never heard. But for now, this is just one of those songs that make you feel like you're sitting on top of a building looking out, thinking about anything in the world. At least I have her love, the city she loves me, lonely as I am, together we cry. Yeah, I know how that is. Another perfect driving song.

68.) "Find Your Way Back" Michelle Branch
I'm finding my way back to you
And everything I used to be
And leaving is all I can do
Until you find your way back to me
Almost nothing can be more goosebump-inducing than Michelle Branch on harmony. I originally had "All You Wanted" in this spot, until I heard this song in a movie trailer (surprise, surprise) and thought "Holy sh!t." While "All You Wanted" is a very nice song, this one is leaps and bounds above it in the original melody department. It is delivered with a heart so big, it could crush this town. (Oh, I do have Tom Petty somewhere on here, please tell me I do!) And that's what we lovebirds are talking about, ya hear? Good job, Michelle, keep 'em coming.

67.) "We've Only Just Begun" The Carpenters
Sharing horizons that are new to us
Watching for signs along the way
Talking it over, just the two of us, working together day to day
Another one you can blame Mom for! Sorry, but those Carpenter people had some serious heart to 'em, and it showed more than ever in songs like this. When the horns burst out on the chorus, even the most rock-oriented listeners might be inclined to think, even if only for seconds "Wow, the Carpenters actually rock." Just a plain good song all around.

66.) "Lady Love Me (One More Time)" George Benson
So before you turn and walk away
Just lady love me one more time
Feel your heartbeat close to mine
I don't know what it is about this song. It's definitely one that got plenty of airplay when I was a kid, and nowadays it's a lot faster than I remember (which is always a good thing). There is some interesting musical texture to this one, with music flying over and behind George as he treats us to his underappreciated vocal talent.

65.) "Tonight, Tonight" Smashing Pumpkins
Time is never time at all
You can never ever leave without leaving a piece of youth
And our lives are forever changed
Billy Corgan, strings, and Jimmy Chamberlain rat-a-tat-tatting away on the drums. This song, aside from being responsible for a few million of Mellon Collie's sales, is about as epic as they come. It's almost like something you'd hear out of a wild opera play, but it works. At least it did before it got played to death. Only just recently is the song starting to regain its initial freshness. But all exhaustion issues aside, "Tonight, Tonight" remains one of the Pumpkins' greatest works of art.

64.) "Father Figure" George Michael
Sometimes I think that you'll never understand me
Maybe this time is forever, say it can't be
George Michael knows his romance, and delivers it wholeheartedly in this sweeping, euphoric, pensive, and ever so horny masterpiece of a tune. George strutted his vocal harmonic stuff and fused the soulfulness of a gospel song with the wispy journey of a sensual love song. The combination is both shocking and gorgeous in a way that's tough to describe.

63.) "Don't Lose My Number" Phil Collins
He never meant to do anything wrong
It's gonna get worse if he waits too long
Okay, this is another one of those weird ones that you're wishing I would just stop with! But there is something so powerful behind this song. On one end, you have a pounding drum beat that just won't let up, on the other you have a chorus that is so full of hooks it's barely coherent. And in the middle, as the backbone, you have the story of one of Phil's friends who got caught by the police for something he may or may not have done. I guess more than anything else, the unconditional love he shows for this friend in spite of his current situation, there's something inspiring about it. I suppose I shouldn't mention that I wrote my own version of the song for a girl one time, which kind of distorts my vision...

62.) "The End Will Come" Elton John
And so they say the end will come for us
And so the world slows down to let us off
Just hang it up, and let it go, accept it if I must
But I don't believe no I won't believe that the end will come for us
With all the great Elton John songs out there, I go and pick some crap like this? Well I've got to tell you, I can never get enough of this song. I'll say the same thing I said in my review of The Big Picture -- this is the most outlandish offering Elton has offered since "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". You can't possibly predict this on the first (or fifth) listen. The chorus has got more hooks in it than Peter Pan's got movies. "The End Will Come" is epic and romantic on a visceral level. Fascinating.

61.) "Lost In Love" Air Supply
You know you can't fool me, I've been loving you too long
It started so easy, you want to carry on?
As suggested by one of the most hilarious writers on this site, I realized I could not make this list without "Lost In Love". The song sounds pretty much the way its title suggests it would. Air Supply are not all about ballads, as this upbeat number shows. Everything in this song, the vocals, the background, the instruments and even the percussion, all blend together so beautifully.

60.) "Missing You" Dan Fogelberg
Ohhh if I had you beside me
Then I just might sleep through the night
Your love is the promise that guides me
All of the days of my life
Dan Fogelberg isn't all about ballads any more than Air Supply is, as evidenced by this driving rockish midtempo rant. Dan sounds as lonely as ever, and obviously anxious to bring things back to the way they used to be. I love the stark instrumentation and driving string sections, not to mention the great guitar solo.

59.) "Hole Hearted" Extreme
Rivers flow into the sea, yet even the sea is not so full of me
If I'm not blind why can't I see
That a circle can't fit where a square should be
There's a hole in my heart that can only be filled by you
Matchbox 20 totally lifted the beginning of this song (rhythmically speaking) on "3AM". Chances are you know the song "More Than Words", well this is by the same guys, and it's pretty damn cool. This song is kind of a bumpy ride, with some bluesy guitar riffage as its driving force, and a chorus that makes you wanna play it from the highest mountain for the one you love. The coolest part is, you can hear the sound of rain in the background after the song is finished.

58.) "Why Don't You And I" Santana & Alex Band
Why don't you and I hold each other
Fly to the moon and straight on to Heaven
'Cause without you they're never gonna let me in
Many thanks to all who offered suggestions... unfortunately, I can't accomodate a song that I'm not at least a long time familiar with. The exceptions to this are very, and I'm talking extremely rare. "Why Don't You And I" is one of them, and even this song I've known for almost six months. Alex is a gifted vocalist, and if he can put out more rock-oriented tracks like this one and utilize his naturally low range so well as he does here, he could go a long way. It is because of this song, that I brought a screenplay to life. Special thanks also go to Becky, who made this song beautiful for me Smiley

57.) "Too Late To Turn Back Now" Cornelius Bros. & Sister Rose
I found myself wanting her at least ten times a day
It's so unusual for me to carry on this way
I can't sleep at night, I'm wanting to hold her tight
I've tried so hard to convince myself
That this feeling just can't be right, but I'm telling ya.
Had this song come out recently, it would be getting completely blasted for its overproduction. I don't know if there is a song in existence that lays that melodic limburger on more thick than this one. Thankfully, the melody is sweet enough that, for me, it's not anything like limburger but more like a tasty bowl of melted Cheez Whiz. The lyrics are the Tostitos in this case, keeping things very straightforward and simple. And as with many oldies, the female backing vocals make the song.

56.) "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" Moody Blues
The secret of your beauty and the mystery of your soul
I've been searching for in everyone I meet
And the times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say
And the grass is growing underneath our feet
I know you're out there somewhere
This is the song that started it all, as if you haven't heard that a billion times! Thanks to Dad's mix tape and this song, my love of music was brought to its fruition on that fateful night. The Moody Blues are not as "weird" as you might think by their previous work and all. This is a very simple upbeat pop song with all the requisite elements and some excellent vocal from Justin Hayward. Just wait'll he harmonizes that chorus in the second half -- MAN, goosebump city!

55.) "Again" Janet Jackson
Don't think I can take the pain, never fall again
Kinda late in the game and my heart is in your hands
Don't you stand there and then tell me you love me
Then leave again
'Cause I've fallen in love with you again
Hold me, hold me
Although I'm not a big fan of Janet, this song is another one of those that, in recent times, ya know, "gets" me. The piano intro (and outro) are just lovely, and Janet sings with unfathomable passion here. I just can't believe I never noticed how powerfully a singer could bring it home before. As you can tell by the lyrics, it's kind of a bittersweet shot in the dark, but you really want her to get him back, and that's tough to pull off in a music industry that I think maybe expects too much of its women.

54.) "In The Absence of Sun" Duncan Sheik
I don't want to feel this way, no
I don't want to say I'm just a friend
I don't want to wait around here
'Cause you don't want to feel no pain again
We just lie about it
As we become shadows of ourselves.
With guitars barely audible, Duncan jump-starts this song in typical style, with a voice that is beautifully imperfect. Although I use the expression "jump-starts", there is nothing even remotely upbeat about this song. This is the kind of slow ballad you would hear while looking out the window at the falling snow, and seeing nothing but snow for as far as the eye can see. This one's got some unusual string arrangements, but a very elegant tune that grows on you slowly but surely.

53.) "Down Low" R. Kelly
Beautiful you are, but you're his by far
Comin' by my way, drivin' his fancy car
No, I'm not exactly an avid R&B listener, I'm just another one of those couch potatoes who happened to discover this song because of its tragic video. But the song is just amazing. The played-up piano parts contrast the otherwise smooth, silky progression. R-haus brings it home with an odd foreboding in his voice. And I do believe this is the slowest song on my list, for anyone who's keeping track!

52.) "Everything You Want" Vertical Horizon
He's everything you want, he's everything you need
He's everything inside of you that you wish you could be
He says all the right things at exactly the right time
But he means nothing to you and you don't know why.
I guess it takes a real egomaniac to think of himself as the "he" in this song, but that was what I thought the first time I heard it. And seeing another guy out there talk like this, like he knew he had everything to offer but just couldn't get past that first step, well, by now you know what I was feeling. It's not so much that the protagonist of the song is upset by what he's losing, but he is upset by what she's losing. Egomaniacal, no matter how you look at it. Fans of Toby Keith's "How Do You Like Me Now" (which almost made this list, for shyts N giggles) will probably dig.

51.) "Godsend" DC Talk
You're a Godsend, a blessing from above
You've been Godsent to me
They may be a Christian band, but DC Talk proved with this little gem that they knew the one two three of crafting a beautiful love song. This song possesses all the soul of a typical Stevie Wonder song, with just the right dash of DC's unavoidable rock element. The result is a gorgeous starry-eyed concoction of a fine rock/soul fusion. Bring it on, boys.

50.) "Better Man" Pearl Jam
She lies and says she's in love with him
Can't find a better man
This would be the other "third party" song. Vedder never asserts that he himself has feelings for the girl; for all we know it could be his sister. What's keeping her with him, who knows. Sometimes love makes you do some really stupid things. I've seen it more than my share of times! While this song might be more on the pop scale than most of PJ's work, it still flies above and beyond most of the corporate rock shat out by lesser groups of individuals (never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups, they say).

49.) "Remember The Time" Michael Jackson
Do you remember the time when we fell in love
Do you remember the time when we first met, girl
This song is simply a guilty pleasure of mine, coming from a time in my life when I was really starting to discover who I was and who I wasn't. It's got jazzy harmonies, a danceable beat and a groundbreaking video. And it is one of the last truly great songs Michael Jackson put out before things started to go all different on him. No matter what he may or may not have done, this song still carries a memorable beauty.

48.) "The Boy" Smashing Pumpkins
I can't stop, I can't breathe, I can't think
I'm in love again
One of the Smashing Pumpkins' hidden gems rests comfortably out of the reach of otherwise unattainable expectation, as a B-side to the 1979 Single. The catch is that James Iha leads the song with his delightfully enamored vocal. The sparse production and unbalanced feel of the song only contribute to its raw, yet innocent feel. This song has been a favorite of mine ever since the first time I laid ears on it.

47.) "Somebody's Baby" Jackson Browne
Well just look at that girl with the lights comin' up in her eyes
She's got to be somebody's baby
The lyrical twist in this song is pure genius. First, he's looking at her, noticing all these wonderful things about her, and then coming to the conclusion that she's "got to be somebody's baby". But then, THEN, the song switches over to her point of view. She's walking along with her friends, and he overhears her. She says she's got to be somebody's baby. As with a lot of 80's songs, this one has a soft charm about it.

46.) "Tearin' Up My Heart" N*Sync
It's tearin up my heart when I'm with you
And when we are apart I feel it too
And no matter what I do I feel the pain
With or without you
Go on, shoot me. This is just a damn good song, no matter where or from whom it came. The beat and the bass almost seem to be one and the same. The harmonizing by the boys (excuse me, Kristina's boys) is so closely knit, you'd think it was ..(gasp!) artificial. Not here, baby. This song makes great use of its chords; not since "Motownphilly" have I heard one that creates the same euphoric atmosphere amongst all the ado about nothing. And I think you'd be surprised how hard this song is to sing at Karaoke.

45.) "The World I Know" Collective Soul
So I walk up on high and I stop to the edge
To see my world below
And I laugh at myself while the tears roll down
'Cause it's the world I know
Another one of those songs that is made better by its video. If you haven't seen it, you should. For as slow of a song as it is, boy is it ever tough to resist air drumming. This song has a U2ish vibe going on in some parts; in others it sounds rich and elegant with subtly placed strings. But those could be the same parts for all I care. This is a beautiful song, and don't let nobody tell you otherwise.

44.) "Building A Mystery" Sarah McLachlan
Oh you're so beautiful with an edge and a charm
And so careful when I'm in your arms
It is that second line there that got this song on here in the first place, and the remainder of the song that elevated it to where it is now (originally it was #59). There are a lot of religious references in the lyrics, more than I can count! But beneath the surface (heh) it seems to be a love song for a guy who is "building a mystery". It might be serendipitous that this song came out around the same time as the movie "Conspiracy Theory", in which Mel Gibson has feelings for Julia Roberts, and when she comes to his apartment, she finds out that he has all kinds of pictures of her on his walls. It's kind of creepy, but even this song refers to vampires so there ya go! I just always thought it was fascinating, as the video implied, that this guy had all kinds of proof and labors of love going on in his secret place, and it's only a matter of time before she comes along and sees the "mystery" that he's been building for her. But I'm sure I'm way off the mark!

43.) "Heartbreaker" Dionne Warwick
Why do you have to be a heartbreaker
When I was being what you want me to be?
Suddenly everything I ever wanted has passed me by
More than anything else, it is the burst of synthesizers in the beginning (and before the last chorus) that I love about this song. Aside from that, though, there's plenty else to like -- it's irresistibly catchy and singalongable, Dionne's harmonizing is better than you might imagine, the words are fantastically straightforward, and I don't have enough unrequited songs from the female side anyway, so there you go.

42.) "If You Could Only See" Tonic
If you could only see the way she loves me
Then maybe you would understand
Why I feel this way about our love
And what I must do
Originally, lead singer Emerson Hart wrote this song for his mother, because she objected to his hooking up with this girl. This song manages to be both intense (in the way that many of Tonic's songs are) and nicely mournful in a way. Emerson only hints at a scowl now and then, but otherwise sounds devastated that he feels he has to make a choice between which is the most important. Instead, he opts to plead for peace. I guess this is one of the few times you could realistically hope for that, and so this song comes only two notches short of the top 40.

41.) "More Than A Woman" Bee Gees
Here in your heart I've found my paradise
My only chance for happiness
If it makes you feel any better, I had to pick one out of 41 songs to dump out of the top 40 and this ended up being the one. You don't know how much I hated to do it though. While the Bee Gees do have some of the most nutless (or nutty, or nutcrunched) voices this side of the galaxy, the fact is they knew how to harmonize those voices to great effect. Especially on this song. Couple that with an irresistible beat and a sweet (sweet in THAT way, too) disco melody, you just couldn't go wrong. Besides, if Johnny 5 likes it, it can't be that bad!

40.) "Kiss From A Rose" Seal
There is so much a man can tell you, so much he can say
You remain my power, my pleasure, my pain
Baby, to me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny
Won't you tell me is that healthy baby?
Seal's amazing number from the Batman Forever soundtrack was what sparked his career and propelled Seal 1994's sales into the upper stratosphere. Funny thing is, he didn't even write the song for the movie. This song has "epic" written all over it, as it transforms from atmospheric to a sweeping power ballad without missing a beat. Seal really gets to show off his range here, too.

39.) "Turn Your Love Around" George Benson
I'm alone until you show me
That you're still in love with me
We're gonna make it, we're gonna take it
Back where we belong, turn your love around
"The" other George Benson song, and probably the one most responsible for turning me on to the 80's soul/reggae/R&B/jazz embodied by the likes of Stevie Wonder, (whom I just can't stop mentioning, can I?) Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson, and to a certain extent, even Hall & Oates. While a bit slower than his other song, "Turn Your Love Around" has one of the most infectious beats and is impossible for me not to dance to somehow when it comes on at work. The horn sections that follow every time he sings the title of the song are the best part; they completely save it.

38.) "Lights" Journey
When the lights go down in the city
And the sun shines on the bay
Oh I wanna be there in my city,
Whooooo-oo-whoooooo-ooooooooah
Okay, I mentioned earlier in the list that there were two more of these; well sorry to say but one of 'em got jacked. (For the curious, it was the one you've never heard, "Real Downtown" by the Vigilantes of Love, which is still an EXCELLENT song.) If you're driving in a car with someone you like and you really want to impress them with your romantic mix, toss this one somewhere in there and see what happens. Journey may have been the ultimate "cheese" band, but they sure as heckfire knew what they were doing when they pulled together the way they do on a song like this. Also useful for pulling you out of a bad mood, this one.

37.) "This Is It" Kenny Loggins
You said that maybe it's over
Not if you don't want it to be
For once in your life, here's your miracle
Stand up and fight, this is it!
That's the only time you'll see me putting an exclamation mark by the lyrics. Aside from being the song that "saved my life" this year, it's also compelling, intense, yet inspiring. Mike McDonald of Doobie Bros. fame adds a deepening touch with his soft falsetto in the background, and plays off of Kenny Loggins so well here. If you don't think cymbals are essential to a song, take a listen to this one and you'll remember why your memory nags you to put emphasis on the words "this" and "it", which otherwise sounds like it wouldn't work rhythmically. But it does. The change-up in the rhythmic placement of the words "this is it" at the end also keep it interesting long after you should've started anticipating the next song. I was surprised reading through the lyrics one day to find out that it was actually construable as a love song, which is awesome since I get to include it here now Smiley This song is #1 1/2 on my Top 10 Songs of all time, but don't worry, there won't be a #1 1/2 here!

36.) "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" Elton John & George Michael
Ladies and gentlemen,
Mr. ELTON JOHN!!!
Much like Elton's rearrangement of "Candle In The Wind" (not the Princess Di version, but the one on Love Songs), I find this version of "Don't Let The Sun" to surpass the original in terms of plain old listening enjoyment. George opens the song and torments you with over a minute of foreplay, until finally after the first chorus, everything but the piano goes silent, you hear the audience start to get excited because they know what's coming. Then George announces Elton's entrance, the crowd goes wild and Elton jumps right into the song. I get a lump in my throat just writing about it. In the video, it's even better because you get to see the two guys hug. I'm not exactly real keen on what attracts two guys to each other, but it certainly isn't my place (nor anyone else's) to deprive them of that right. Even now, when I see the two of them hugging along with the coda of that song, I get the water works. It's just so powerful.

35.) "Being With You" Smokey Robinson
I don't care what they think about me and
I don't care what they say
I don't care what they think of your leaving
I'm gonna beg you to stay
Here goes more of that great 80's soul searching. Everything about the arrangement of this song is just perfect. The saxophone, while placed off to the side, adds greatly to this song without attracting too much attention to itself. Smokey's near-whispery vocals are ever so tender, right on the verge of falsetto but who knows for sure? Every time you think you've hit the chorus, you realize you're just lost in another chamber of the labyrinthian mosaic of one of 1981's finest love songs ever. Kudos to Billboard for noticing.

34.) "Prayer For The Dying" Seal
I'm crossing that bridge with lessons I've learned
Playing with fire and not getting burned
I may not know what you're going through
But time is the space between me and you
There is a light through that window
Hold on, say yes, while people say no, life carries on
Even 18-year olds know that Seal is a very loving human being around here. I know we just heard from him and all, but here he is again with the first single behind "Kiss From A Rose", and to me, this one just barely edges out that one for two reasons -- #1, I'm a sucker for the fast songs, and #2, this is a "love song for everybody". Anytime I have ever heard this song, it has made me feel better, even at times when I thought I was already perfectly content. Thanks Seal for all the good feelings!

33.) "Five Candles (You Were There)" Jars of Clay
You were there when I needed you
You were there when the skies broke wide wide open
Here we go with the Christian Rock bands doing love songs again! But hey, if it's true that God is Love than who would know better? The Jars underplay this one to its advantage, and the beauty of its message becomes a lot clearer. There is some nice instrumentation backing this one up. When the organ jumps in, it's pure magic. Although this is supposedly a song about God, I tell ya, I don't know any girl who could resist being told that she was there when the skies broke wide open. (But I'm sure they exist!)

32.) "Head Over Heels" Tears For Fears
With one foot in the past now this time
When will it last? Now now now
Have you no ambition?
I don't know, maybe it's not a love song, maybe it is. It sure seems to have some deeper meaning, especially considering its inclusion in Donnie Darko, one of the biggest mindf*ck movies there is. This song utilizes excessive production and all kinds of synthesizer work, backed by a pounding mid-tempo beat and a really hot video of a girl in a library. (Library girls rule, for anyone who was wondering.) I love the unabashedly cheesy melody and harmonizing that comes through on the verse of this song; in fact, a long time ago, I used to get this song confused with "What A Fool Believes" by the Doobie Bros. because the only thing I remembered about either one was that I had them both somewhere on tape, recorded from the radio, and that in each song, high notes were hit. That's how narrow-minded I was.

31.) "Steal Away" Robbie Dupree
I caught you glancing my way
And I know what you're after, no second chances tonight
Why don't we steal away, why don't we steal away into the night
This one's a little mediocre in the lyrics department, but I just can't resist the chiming notes in the background and that supercool beat. For most, I'm sure this is "just another" 80's song, but it's one of those I just happened to really start digging when I listened more closely. There's a great melody hiding in this song that goes right over your head, probably because of excessive airplay back in the day. I don't know.

Top 30... boy, this is getting intense

30.) "Against All Odds" Phil Collins
How can you just walk away from me
When all I can do is watch you leave
'Cause we've shared the laughter and the pain and even shared the tears
You're the only one who really knew me at all
Here we go, lonely guys. You just can't get her, can you? Well, here's your chance to sit alone in your room and cry until your eyes fall out of their sockets. This is, at least in my mind, Phil's greatest song ever (which also means.. hooray! No more Phil Collins songs after this!). Between its forlorn melody, Phil's pained vocals and the heart wrenching lyrics, this one takes all the cake in the world when it comes to the guy's share of the aftermath of the end of the world. So take a look at me now!

29.) "Love Of A Lifetime" Firehouse
I finally found the love of a lifetime
A love to last my whole life through
Again, through overplay and less-than-stellar lyrics, I am forced to keep this one out of the Top 20. (Wait a second, I guess lyrics really do matter after all) However, it is still a gorgeous power ballad, much along the lines of "The Flame" by Cheap Trick (which unfortunately ain't gonna be here, sorry to crush your hopes). What does this song have that that one doesn't have? Well, the harmony doesn't hurt, especially toward the end when the song seems to culminate all over itself, key changes and all. This one is also a little more straightforward as far as melody. In some cases, simplicity is the name of the game, even if you play that simplicity at a raging volume. Unfortunately, volume nowadays is all about how much the speakers shake, not feeling.

28.) "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" Bryan Adams
You can't tell me it's not worth fighting for
I can't help it, there's nothing I want more
This is another one of those songs that is helped greatly by the movie from which it sprung, and the superb performances of Costner and that M chick which offer a nice visual memory. But on its own, the song is equally amazing. Bryan Adams sings the living hell out of it, the music just follows obediently along, loosening its grip just long enough for the teary-eyed ones to look away and drench their Kleenexes a little more. Then it goes ape again and the whole process repeats itself like a multiple orgasm.

27.) "Here Comes My Girl" Tom Petty
Every now and then, I get down to the end of a day
I'll have to stop, ask myself, "What've I done?"
It just seems so useless to have to work so hard
And nothin' ever really seem to come from it
And then she looks me in the eye and says "We gonna last forever,"
And man, you know I can't begin to doubt it
Tom Petty always seemed like kind of a kid at heart, but never did he take a more innocent standpoint than right here. He speaks (not necessarily raps) his verses in a strangely low voice, lamenting the "uselessness" of his life, and then he raises his voice to the usual singing level when things start to change and he sees that girl and he knows that maybe he does have a reason, or a purpose. You think the chorus is going to rock out and instead, Petty continues to lead it gently, with a voice so close to breaking you just can't help but feel happy for him.

26.) "I Just Wanna Stop" Gino Vanelli
Ohh, try hard to forget it, but I know my mind won't let it
I just wanna stop and tell you what I feel about you baby
I just wanna stop, the world ain't right without you baby
I just wanna stop (pause) for your looooove
You wanna talk about somebody who can SING, Gino is your man. This guy's voice is incredible. I don't know a lot about his background, but "Stop" is definitely a plate that's been to the soul buffet more than a few go-arounds. Female backing vocals (thankfully, unobtrusive ones) create a nice candlelight kind of atmosphere, and Gino subtly but powerfully engages in his lyrical prowess. The idea of "stopping", for anything, becomes more tempting day by day in this crazy, mixed up world of ours, let alone stopping for something like that.

25.) "Everlasting Love" Howard Jones
I need an everlasting love
I need a friend and a lover divine
An everlasting, precious love
Wait for it, wait for it, give it some time
Howard Jones was a wizard with a synthesizer; he was proof that you didn't necessarily have to play music to create it. His vision is uncompromised, especially in a song like this with a driving beat, a simple melody and a stunning delivery. The way he builds up to the chorus, I mean, you'd have to put my ass on morphine to keep me from air-guitaring to that stuff. Especially since I know just when the "burst" is coming. I can't think of a lot of songs that take simplicity and make it as divine as Howard does here. All it takes is to hear it at the right time and you're toast.

24.) "These Dreams" Heart
The sweetest song is silence that I've ever heard
Funny how your feet in dreams never touch the Earth
In a wood full of princes, freedom is a kiss
But the prince hides his face from dreams in the mist
This may just be the most overplayed 80's song there ever was. The weird thing is, no matter how many times I hear it, I NEVER get sick of it! Yet again, we have a simple melody oozing softly out, and some of the most cryptic lyrics ever penned coming out the mouth of lead singer Ann Wilson (who is FANTASTIC). I find the song insanely romantic, for what few romantic allusions I can extract from it. Long before I got into music, my Algebra teacher, Mr. Bagwell, passed this song on the radio, and I spent (seriously) the next TWO MONTHS trying to remember how the rest of it went. And for the only time I can ever recall, I actually did remember the rest of it, without hearing it. Maybe that's why I'm so close to it.

23.) "Circle of Life" Elton John
Some say eat or be eaten
Some say live and let live
But all are agreed as they join the stampede
You should never take more than you give
In the circle of life
I do believe this is the last one for which the status of "love song" would be questionable, but there aren't enough love songs for animals out there if you ask me. And that's why I have this song here; Elton wrote it specifically for The Lion King, and he captures the essence of the Lion's life with a startling accuracy; you can't possibly hear the song and not think of Simba rolling in the meadow, getting pinned by Nala, and growing up with Timon and Pumbaa. But sometimes when I hear the song now, I think about my baby neices, and I get all teary eyed. Which is crazy 'cause I never had any special feelings about the song before. Now all of a sudden, to quote Avril Lavigne, "Everything's changing."

22.) "Every Breath You Take" The Police
Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace
I dream at night, I can only see your face
I look around but it's you I can't replace
I feel so cold and I long for your embrace
If not for the presence of certain other individuals, I never would have recognized the impeccable beauty of this song. It was always just another song with a bland beat, all the lines sounded the same, and worst of all, Puff Daddy remade it (conveniently dropping the beat under 120 BPM, but I'm not even sure the original was over). What really saves this song is its bridge, as quoted above. And the whole stalker thing is kind of interesting as well, though I never saw it that way before Sting mentioned it on VH-1's Storytellers. Don't husbands watch their wives in amazement? Of course he does say that she's gone, though, doesn't he. But most people never "hear" anything besides the chorus anyway. Puff Daddy sure as heck didn't!

21.) "Imagine" John Lennon
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will live as one.
Beautiful piano, beautifully sung, a melody that never fails to take my breath away. Nothing more can be said.

20.) "I Know" Dionne Farris
I can recognize the symptoms
You should know I've changed my mind
I know what you're doing and it's not gonna work this time
This song was so huge when it was popular, what ever happened to it? Dionne Farris blew the doors of a dozen genres at once with her electrifying romp "I Know". Screw Alanis' "You Oughta Know", just take a listen to this for some serious melodic smackdown! The electric guitars throb like there's no tomorrow, but Dionne sings right over them, not intimidated in the slightest. Her voice is solid, she hits all the notes with no trouble, and she looks cool as hell in the video. The bridge is absolute magic; wherever they came up with that hook, I have no clue.

19.) "Hard Habit To Break" Chicago
Being without you takes a lot of getting used to
Should learn to live with it, but I don't want to
Of all Chicago's songs, this one sounds like it took the most effort to get just right. In most cases, the end result of such an endeavor in songcrafting leads to something that drives like it's being held together by bubblegum. Not for "Hard Habit To Break". The string sections at the end of this song, I could listen to that thirty-second segment looped over itself for hours and never tire of it. You know how sometimes a melody is comfortably depressing? This is one of those. I guess a love song shouldn't be hopeless, but it's more fun to lose a battle than to win a war anyway.

18.) "Beautiful Day" U2
What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel somehow
What you don't have you don't need it now
Don't need it now, it was a beautiful day
Maybe if I were more familiar with U2's catalogue, I'd be putting something like "All I Want Is You" or "One" here, but I always thought there was something amazing about "Beautiful Day", something that made you feel like you were flying across the sky at Mach 10 and absorbing oodles of energy along the way. There are so many different things that can make a day beautiful, but I think the hidden catalyst here is love as well, especially with a line like Touch me, take me to that other place.

17.) "Even The Nights Are Better" Air Supply
I never dreamed there'd be someone to hold me
Until you told me and now that I've found you
Even the nights are better
I'm not even sure that describing this one is necessary; you either love 'em or hate 'em, and chances are the feeling carries over into this song. But once again, this tune shows that Air Supply are more than just balladeers. When the third chorus arrives, it's like "Wait a second, what KEY did they just jump into???" And I dare you to try to play the guitar solo that segues into it -- holy shizoli. It's still Air Supply, though, and therefore, romance city.

16.) "Stars" Simply Red
As for all the things you taught me
Sends my future into clearer dimensions
You'll never know how much you hurt me
Stay, can't you see that I... wanna fall from the stars
I'm not familiar with a lot of Simply Red's work either, but I do understand that they are a widely scorned band. But this song, man oh man. This is one of those I have heard countless times over the last dozen years, but mysteriously never latched onto until recently. One day I just suddenly realized "Hey, that song's kind of groovy." And the more I listened to it, the more I looked forward to the next time. Everything in this song is played so carefully, the shaky mid-tempo beat, the marvelous guitar riff and the driving piano in the back seat. Something about all these different elements that don't sound like they belong together that mixes so well in this one particular instance. Perhaps because they found a melody that is just left-of-center enough to be appropriate for such an outlandish presentation.

15.) "Laughter In The Rain" Neil Sedaka
Ooh I hear laughter in the rain
Walking hand in hand with the one I love
Ooh how I love the rainy days
And the happy way I feel inside
God, this song is so great. Talk about being both cheesy and sexy at the same time. He and this girl are in the rain without an umbrella and they're soaking wet, sharing their love under stormy skies. Holy moly, man. Just listen to the way he harmonizes on that chorus -- it sounds like there's an army of him singing! I'm telling you, just listening to this song all I wanna do is throw it up to the top five. It's just completely out of my league to describe anything as beautiful and naive as this.

14.) "Fortress Around Your Heart" Sting
And if I built this fortress around your heart
Encircled you in trenches and barbed wire
Then let me build a bridge, for I cannot fill the chasm
Let me set the battlements on fire
The Tantric One delivers his most scintillating melody ever right here. I do believe this is the third time I've tried to describe this song, and last time I cut & pasted from the first time, so I won't do that again. Basically, this is my take on it -- he has been too overprotective of someone he loves and built a proverbial "fortress" around her heart. But what he doesn't realize is that he blocked himself out too. Now he's trying to get back in, and he is his own enemy. But he'll do anything. There is a foreboding sadness that permeates every second of the verses, and in the chorus, the percussion enters (BANG!) and he, err, rises to the occasion with an irresistible pop melody. Not bad for a first solo album track if you ask me.

13.) "Alone" Heart
Til now, I always got by on my own
I never really cared until I met you
And now it chills me to the bone
How do I get you alone?
Gooooood question there, Annie! As much as I might parade around here wearing my heart on my sleeve all the time, the truth is that it's pretty tough for me to believe that women have as hard a time with unrequited love as men do. I guess it depends on a lot of things, though. But when Ann sings this song, I believe her and boy do I ever believe her. You can throw out the fact that this song has a dropdead badass synth melody going on behind it, just Ann's vocals alone on this song would be every bit as gorgeous. The wail before the last chorus is PRICELESS. And I find myself asking the same question she does... "How do I get her alone?" And it ain't so I can do the hanky panky either!

12.) "Heart Hotels" Dan Fogelberg
Seek inspiration in daily affairs
Now your soul is in trouble and requires repairs
And the voices you hear at the top of the stairs
Are only echoes of unanswered prayers.
I think the lyrics to this song are some of the most beautiful ever written. Dan compares his heart to a hotel (like you couldn't have guessed that), and he's looking around for any love he might have left behind. It could be an exercise in introspection, or the ultimate act of desperation, but either way it's a song that a lot of us can relate to. The music is also perfectly aligned with the
IP sačuvana
social share
Pobednik, pre svega.

Napomena: Moje privatne poruke, icq, msn, yim, google talk i mail ne sluze za pruzanje tehnicke podrske ili odgovaranje na pitanja korisnika. Za sva pitanja postoji adekvatan deo foruma. Pronadjite ga! Takve privatne poruke cu jednostavno ignorisati!
Preporuke za clanove: Procitajte najcesce postavljana pitanja!
Pogledaj profil WWW GTalk Twitter Facebook

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Administrator
Capo di tutti capi

Zodijak Gemini
Pol Muškarac
mob
Apple iPhone 6s
fluttery notes that follow after the line "Let's stop this tonight", best damn part of the whole song. Then it slams back into that oh so cool hook. Also watch the bass just before the start of the last chorus. So many little things about this song, I'm telling you.

7.) "Crazy For This Girl" Evan & Jaron
Would you look at her as she looks at me
She's got me thinking about her constantly
But she don't know how I feel
And as she carries on without a doubt
I wonder if she'll figure out
I'm crazy for this girl
I'll tell you what really makes this song awesome and you'll never guess. It's the use of the word "this". He could have said "I'm crazy for that girl," as though he were telling his guy friends; he could have said "I'm crazy for the girl," as though she were just another one. But he says "I'm crazy for this girl." The word implies that all of his attention is focused on her, as if he has her right there in his hand and he's asking you to take a look. Forget about the acoustic version, this song just isn't the same without its intensity. It makes you feel like you are literally drowning in the feeling, and there's just no competing with the vocal harmony between these two guys. Can't forget that Mick Fleetwood is the one playing the drums; that certainly doesn't hurt anything. I will never forget how deeply this song moved me at the apex of my interest.

6.) "Superstar" The Carpenters
Don't you remember you told me you loved me baby
Said you'd be coming back this way again baby
I guess I was just starting to come out of infancy and into actual awareness when this song came along. Not only does the song have a cool title, but it lives up to that title. Karen just oozes melancholy as she calls out to her famous guy friend, who doesn't seem to have the time for her anymore. The backing instrumentation is something to watch out for; it moves this song along at a brisk pace and keeps you wondering where she's going to take it next. Sonic Youth did an interesting remake with some kind of fast descending siren sound in the background on the chorus; I thought that was like the coolest thing, it made it sound like it was an actual emergency that the person was not coming back; and it may as well have been an emergency to Karen. Surely she was hurting enough for it to be.

5.) "Jealous Guy" John Lennon
I didn't mean to hurt you, I'm sorry that I made you cry
Oh no, I didn't want to hurt you, I'm just a jealous guy
Every time this song comes on, I just freeze. I don't know what it is. Much like "Imagine", this is a song that has nothing more than John's voice, the piano, and the occasional stringeroo. But where "Imagine" had a low-key seriousness to it, "Jealous Guy" has this standoffish high-pitched delivery, like it's almost scared to ask for forgiveness. It just doesn't get any more exquisite than this.

4.) "She's Like The Wind" Patrick Swayze
Such a fool to believe I have anything she needs
She's like the wind
I was driving at night when the idea came to me to do the Top 100 Love Songs of all time, and what song should be playing but this one. This is THE ultimate "driving alone at night" song. You gotta respect anyone who can act AND sing as well as this guy does. Opening with an eccentric piano line, this song heads into a lonely melody, and old Mr. Solitary Swayze delivers his case. For as many simple lines as there are in the song (Living without her, I go insane) it sure comes off as convincing! This was originally my #1 song, but alas, things change.

3.) "I Saw The Light" Todd Rundgren
I tried to run, though I knew it wouldn't help me none
'Cause I couldn't ever love no one, or so I said
But my feelings for you are just something I never knew
Til I saw the light in your eyes
As many times as I have heard this song on Mom's oldies station, I simply cannot believe what I have missed. I could go on about the tons of "little" things about this one, but more than anything else it's the way all those little things come together. Considering it's an oldie, I'm surprised Todd was able to get away with such a peculiar beat. If you really watch it, it comes out strangely. The guitar lick that plays throughout the beginning of the song mysteriously disappears, only to come back at the perfect time, along with a slight change in the words at the end. It's just too cool for words.

2.) "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight, and many others!
You could've told me yourself
That you loved somebody else
Instead, I heard it through the grapevine
Okay, the whole reason I had to go into all that crap about P.O'ed love songs is because of this one. Now that we have that out of the way, just take a listen! With all the different versions of this song that exist, it seems that no one can ruin it. And I find myself hard-pressed to pick any one specific one. Gladys Knight turns it into an upbeat dance tune, Marvin Gaye makes a despondent soul piece out of it. But the song is internationally famous and can be recognized instantly by its brooding opening chords. Some may even still get pictures of the California Raisins in their heads when the song comes on. No matter which version you go for, though, this is one of the greatest melodies ever conceived. And very rarely does a melody fit so well with the words as this one does. This song plays at the funeral of at least 95% of failed relationships. Within the unceasing evolution of this list, "Grapevine" too enjoyed a brief stay at #1.

But I figured if we were talking about Love Songs and all, I should at least let #1 be a happy one...

And so we are finally there...

Are you ready for this?

Can't you just feel the excitement?

Don't get your hopes up, I can almost promise you it's not the song you are thinking of.

And, here we are...

1.) "Breakfast At Tiffany's" Deep Blue Something
And I said what about breakfast at Tiffany's
Riding on the sharp-as-the-edge-of-a-knife border between pop and rock, Deep Blue Something treat us to the masterpiece, the Big Kahuna of all love songs.
OK,
OK,
OK,
I'm kidding.

Well, okay, let's just get it over with.

1.) "Chains Of Love" Erasure
We used to talk about the weather
Making plans together, days would last forever
Come to me, cover me, hold me
Together we'll break these chains of love
Don't give up, don't give up
Together with me and my baby break the chains of loooove
Yeah, this is it. Now you can breathe your collective sigh of relief. Erasure always had kind of an "arty" feel to a lot of their music, so even when they went off in more of a mainstream area, as they did with "Chains Of Love", they still came out with stellar results. This song has the most flawless beat, eminent vocals from the soulful lead singer Andy Bell (who weaves in and out of falsetto like a motorcycle through traffic) and a wonderfully discreet melody all the way around. And when you take your loved one out to dance to this harefooted monster, you'll probably end up just spinning around in circles until you both fall down!

There is something almost disappointing about reaching the end of such a fun journey. But I suppose it's all just another step in the great big thing we call life.

So rather than making a big spectacle of it, I'll just bid you goodbye.
And I hope you had a good time Smiley
And thanks again to all who have supported my ass and made this possible.
And thanks to all the great musical artists who continue to sweep us off our feet.
And thanks to God, for blessing me with the ability to see such beauty.
And thanks to myself, I guess.

Allright, take it easy y'all
Keep the faith
And don't give up!
IP sačuvana
social share
Pobednik, pre svega.

Napomena: Moje privatne poruke, icq, msn, yim, google talk i mail ne sluze za pruzanje tehnicke podrske ili odgovaranje na pitanja korisnika. Za sva pitanja postoji adekvatan deo foruma. Pronadjite ga! Takve privatne poruke cu jednostavno ignorisati!

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Zvezda u usponu

Proud to be Serb!

Zodijak Aquarius
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 1403
mob
SonyEricsson T630
Тек сам сад видео ово, нисам ни прегледао, искрено нисам ни почео да читам али у сваком случају  Smile  Smile  Smile
IP sačuvana
social share

Срби за Србе, хуманитарна организација за помоћ породицама са пуно дечице

Свака битка најпре добија и губи у срцу
Живојин Мишић
Да се осети велико добро, треба најпре познавати мала зла.
Жан Жак Русо
Чудно је, како је мало потребно да будемо срећни и како нам често, баш то мало недостаје
Иво Андрић
Pogledaj profil WWW

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Administrator
Capo di tutti capi

Zodijak Gemini
Pol Muškarac
mob
Apple iPhone 6s
Sedi polako offline iscitaj Smiley
IP sačuvana
social share
Pobednik, pre svega.

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Idi gore
Stranice:
1 3 4 ... 52
Počni novu temu Nova anketa Odgovor Štampaj Dodaj temu u favorite Pogledajte svoje poruke u temi
nazadnapred
Prebaci se na:  

Poslednji odgovor u temi napisan je pre više od 6 meseci.  

Temu ne bi trebalo "iskopavati" osim u slučaju da imate nešto važno da dodate. Ako ipak želite napisati komentar, kliknite na dugme "Odgovori" u meniju iznad ove poruke. Postoje teme kod kojih su odgovori dobrodošli bez obzira na to koliko je vremena od prošlog prošlo. Npr. teme o određenom piscu, knjizi, muzičaru, glumcu i sl. Nemojte da vas ovaj spisak ograničava, ali nemojte ni pisati na teme koje su završena priča.

web design

Forum Info: Banneri Foruma :: Burek Toolbar :: Burek Prodavnica :: Burek Quiz :: Najcesca pitanja :: Tim Foruma :: Prijava zloupotrebe

Izvori vesti: Blic :: Wikipedia :: Mondo :: Press :: Naša mreža :: Sportska Centrala :: Glas Javnosti :: Kurir :: Mikro :: B92 Sport :: RTS :: Danas

Prijatelji foruma: Triviador :: Domaci :: Morazzia :: TotalCar :: FTW.rs :: MojaPijaca :: Pojacalo :: 011info :: Burgos :: Alfaprevod

Pravne Informacije: Pravilnik Foruma :: Politika privatnosti :: Uslovi koriscenja :: O nama :: Marketing :: Kontakt :: Sitemap

All content on this website is property of "Burek.com" and, as such, they may not be used on other websites without written permission.

Copyright © 2002- "Burek.com", all rights reserved. Performance: 0.132 sec za 17 q. Powered by: SMF. © 2005, Simple Machines LLC.