Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:

ConQUIZtador
nazadnapred
Korisnici koji su trenutno na forumu 0 članova i 0 gostiju pregledaju ovu temu.
Napomena: Govor mržnje, uvrede i svako drugo ponašanje za koje moderatori budu smatrali da narušava ugled i red na forumu - biće sankcionisano.
Idi dole
Stranice:
1 ... 11 12
Počni novu temu Nova anketa Odgovor Štampaj Dodaj temu u favorite Pogledajte svoje poruke u temi
Tema: 11. septembar, deset godina kasnije: Ceo svet danas u strahu  (Pročitano 18607 puta)
Udaljen sa foruma
Jet set burekdzija

Sta se iza brda valja?

Zodijak
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 5667
OS
Windows 7
Browser
Chrome 15.0.874.106
preuzeto sa: http://www.bet.com
Commentary: The Problem With the ‘T’ Word

[/img]

September 11 put the shackles on our use of the word terrorist, but it's time we free the word and our minds, and put both to better use.

By Naeesa Aziz
Posted: 09/09/2011 01:24 PM EDT

On September 11, the American public was bombarded by events and images that will haunt many of us forever. After the attack, however, we were then bombarded by a word that has since been cemented in the public consciousness to represent the crazy, irrational and violent: terrorist.

Long ago, a terrorist was simply someone that used terror as a means of gaining political leverage or control. Now, the simple mention of the word brings to mind images of wild-eyed crazies whose only mission is to destroy "us." Don’t get me wrong, there are some people who fit the bill exactly, but our overuse (and misuse) of the term has done lasting damage to our ability to think critically about what is happening to our country and to others abroad.

The nation clutched their pearls when rapper Lupe Fiasco famously declared earlier this year that, in his opinion, President Obama is a terrorist. Bill O’Reilly, one of Obama’s biggest conservative critics, even defended President Obama after the statement. Why? Because we have made "terrorists" into a discrete group of people who commit specific acts; typically the turban wearing variety that are handy with explosives. So, because Obama didn’t fit the description, Lupe Fiasco’s comments were simply disregarded as the ranting of “just another rapper.”

Our simplistic definition of the word also makes terrorism a lifetime gig. Who determined that if you are once a terrorist, you are forever a terrorist? After the U.S. found that there was actually no evidence of nuclear proliferation happening in Iraq, were the many insurgents and bombers that objected to their country being invaded still considered terrorists?

Nelson Mandela once said:

“I was called a terrorist yesterday, but when I came out of jail, many people embraced me, including my enemies, and that is what I normally tell other people who say those who are struggling for liberation in their country are terrorists. I tell them that I was also a terrorist yesterday, but, today, I am admired by the very people who said I was one.”

I am not so foolish to compare the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks and others to Nelson Mandela, however, my point is that there is no single homogenous group called “the terrorists”; terror is a matter of perspective.

We shouldn’t sympathize with violent people, but it's time to free up the word terrorist and use it intelligently as a piece of vocabulary, not a name tag for certain people who think a certain way, look a certain way or have specific names.

The situation brings to mind a book about another tragic mislabeling we commit in our society. In his book In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, Dr. Gabor Mate suggests that since all addictions come from the same place neurologically, therefore, as a society, rather than criminalize drug abuse, we should treat the crack-head with the same respect as the shopaholic, who, although maintaining a job, is tens of thousands of dollars in debt. Instead, what happens is the shopaholic gets therapy and a debt counselor and the crackhead bounces between prison and crime on the streets. Thus, by ignoring and stereotyping the people that need the most attention, we only harm ourselves.

If we free our minds from the myopic definition of the word terrorist, and ask more questions about where the anger comes from, perhaps we would have a clearer dialogue with those that seek to harm us, rather than trying to converse by shouting at each other over the sound of landing shrapnel.

The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of BET Networks.
« Poslednja izmena: 11. Nov 2011, 18:29:28 od 85Kristal »
IP sačuvana
social share
Pogledaj profil

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Udaljen sa foruma
Jet set burekdzija

Sta se iza brda valja?

Zodijak
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 5667
OS
Windows 7
Browser
Chrome 15.0.874.121
IP sačuvana
social share
Pogledaj profil

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Svedok stvaranja istorije

Zodijak
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 27614
OS
Windows XP
Browser
Mozilla Firefox 8.0
eksplodirala armatura  Smile
IP sačuvana
social share
Pogledaj profil

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Legenda foruma

Zodijak Capricorn
Pol Muškarac
Poruke 41361
OS
Windows XP
Browser
Mozilla Firefox 8.0.1
Ma valjda neko kuvo kafu na gasnom sporetu pa pukla flasa  Smile
IP sačuvana
social share
Ako te uhvati bes ako stojis ti sedi,ako sedis ti lezi,ako lezis ti se polij vodom,voda ce da odnese tvoj bes...

Svest nije samo materijalna manifestacija, potrazi na interenetu

Dzoni, ne budi Kristal.

Pogledaj profil

Prijava na forum:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Zelim biti prijavljen:
Trajanje:
Registruj nalog:
Ime:
Lozinka:
Ponovi Lozinku:
E-mail:
Idi gore
Stranice:
1 ... 11 12
Počni novu temu Nova anketa Odgovor Štampaj Dodaj temu u favorite Pogledajte svoje poruke u temi
nazadnapred
Prebaci se na:  

Poslednji odgovor u temi napisan je pre više od 6 meseci.  

Temu ne bi trebalo "iskopavati" osim u slučaju da imate nešto važno da dodate. Ako ipak želite napisati komentar, kliknite na dugme "Odgovori" u meniju iznad ove poruke. Postoje teme kod kojih su odgovori dobrodošli bez obzira na to koliko je vremena od prošlog prošlo. Npr. teme o određenom piscu, knjizi, muzičaru, glumcu i sl. Nemojte da vas ovaj spisak ograničava, ali nemojte ni pisati na teme koje su završena priča.

web design

Forum Info: Banneri Foruma :: Burek Toolbar :: Burek Prodavnica :: Burek Quiz :: Najcesca pitanja :: Tim Foruma :: Prijava zloupotrebe

Izvori vesti: Blic :: Wikipedia :: Mondo :: Press :: Naša mreža :: Sportska Centrala :: Glas Javnosti :: Kurir :: Mikro :: B92 Sport :: RTS :: Danas

Prijatelji foruma: Triviador :: Domaci :: Morazzia :: TotalCar :: FTW.rs :: MojaPijaca :: Pojacalo :: 011info :: Burgos :: Alfaprevod

Pravne Informacije: Pravilnik Foruma :: Politika privatnosti :: Uslovi koriscenja :: O nama :: Marketing :: Kontakt :: Sitemap

All content on this website is property of "Burek.com" and, as such, they may not be used on other websites without written permission.

Copyright © 2002- "Burek.com", all rights reserved. Performance: 0.071 sec za 17 q. Powered by: SMF. © 2005, Simple Machines LLC.